A Bit About Us

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Take Three Snow Days


 
 
It started snowing Sunday, and by Tuesday schools and offices were closing. I pulled out some reference photos from last spring, the iris were irresistible. Having just finished a workshop with Mike Beeman I worked through the steps for creating a great painting. First find the value map. I keep it simple. Not having the Value Viewer, a great little app created by Mark Putman, I make a copy of my reference photo in black and white.  I was happy with the composition as I had cropped the original photo.   Next I chose a palette and realized I needed an even a darker purple to create the shapes of the iris.  I used the analogous color wheel to find a discord to keep the eye moving.   The snow has stopped so the time to really paint, not just do a quick study, may not begin again for a bit.  This painting in pastel is 10x20 and is Irresistible on this cold April day. 
Our early summer iris from last year... oh for Spring...
 
 
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Vanda just now saw your post! LOVE your Iris' they are Irresistible!!!