A Bit About Us

Monday, July 18, 2011

Heron Dance

We are all so busy that the inbox becomes cluttered with email.  The one I do try to open, read and take a breath and assimilate is called Heron Dance.   Heron Dance is a nonprofit literary and art studio founded in 1994 by artist and the author Roderick MacIver.   http://www.herondance.org

He will tell you: I started Heron Dance in 1994 as a newsletter that explored what it means to live a meaningful life. The early years were exciting. They still are, but it is different now. Two years before starting the publication I had been diagnosed with a life threatening illness. Art became part of my cure; I taught myself how to draw and paint while in the hospital.  
Reflections of a Wild Artist evolved out of a life of searching, including a search for harmony with myself. The truths underlying life, the human experience, are contradictory, illusory and revealed only in glimpses. Even harder than realizing them is living them.

My work is multimedia, unpredictable: art and words combined in an effort to dig into what it means to live a well-lived life, a life that is its own work of art. 
You will find inspirational quotes, a journal question, and of course the art and philosophy  of the author.    

One of my favorite thoughts from Heron Dance
- An Open Life: Joseph Campbell in conversation with Michael Toms
You have to strive every minute to get rid of the life that you have planned in order to have the life that's waiting to be yours. Move. Move. Move into the transcendent. That's the whole sense of adventure, I think.
   
Take a moment to subscribe to Heron Dance on the link above and enjoy the art, the message and the journey.   

No comments: